Hat for Preemie Boy

Since I’ve made three bonnets, I wanted to make a different hat – preferably one more specifically designed for a boy.  I found a cute pattern that I decided to use.  Here’s the link:

http://mushroomvillagers.wordpress.com/the-eddie-cap-tutorial/

The pattern is for a 6-7 year-old boy, so I reduced the pattern by 37% for a preemie size.  The pattern starts with rectangles and an octagon and then trims some curves.  Since I’m working with stretchy lace and slippery taffeta, I decided to cut the patterns out of paper instead of trying to mark on fabric and cut.

Pieces for Preemie Boy Hat

Pieces for Preemie Boy Hat

I sewed the brim first.  The “outer layer” was lace lined with taffeta, and the “back layer” was another layer of taffeta with stiff sew-on interfacing sewed to it.  Below is the first attempt at the brim:

Brim

Brim

The curved edges were too square, so I ripped out the topstitching and curved those some more.  Also, the flat edge needed to be curved in more to make the brim hang properly so I adjusted that.

From there, I continued to follow the directions on the link – sewed the bands (which I lined with light/medium fusible interfacing) and then made and attached the main body of the hat.

Here’s the finished hat:

Dress Project 042713 003

Finished Preemie Boy Hat

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s